The Institute of Women’s Studies
The Institute of Women's Studies was established in line with the strategic goal of the university in promoting research and education for women. As one of the first Iranian research centers, the focus of this institute is to foster research on women issues and offer practical solutions to various types of problems which may challenge women in their personal and social lives.
• Identifying the optimal social, political, domestic and work conditions for women using research findings
• Investigating the status quo of women in various fields and providing practical and principled strategies for removing the obstacles and encouraging the contribution of women in social activities
• Improving the quality of women's social and biological life standards by researching their common concerns and expectations
• Researching the biomedical issues which are specific to women
Missions and Prospects
• Conducting fundamental, developmental and applied research projects on various types of women issues in light of Islamic legal and theoretical bases
• Identifying women-related challenges in various fields and reporting them to decision-making bodies along with possible solutions
• Creating a comprehensive database and compiling and archiving documents, and references which are necessary for the promotion of research on women issues
• Developing and compiling textbooks and instructional materials, and translating major references within the domain of women issues
• Establishing research-based postgraduate programs on women issues
• Educating prominent and skilled researchers
• Cooperating with other national and international organizations and research centers
• Promoting research on women issues by providing funds and administrative support to interested researchers
• Holding conferences, seminars and workshops to convene researchers from all over the world
• Identifying research priorities and providing the required research infrastructures
Some Accomplishments and Awards
• Getting a patent for the registry of the invention No. of 33781, dated 6th of January, 2005 by Dr. Shokoufeh Golkhou, entitled extracting and purifying astaxanthin from phaffia yeast to study its anticancer effects
• Winning the silver medal by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi as a contributor of the project in the International Expo of Inventions and Scientific Competitions, MTE Expo 2007, Malaysia
• Winning two bronze medals by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi as the executive of two projects in the Invention, Research and Innovation Exhibition, UPM RMC, March 2005
• Winning three bronze and one silver medal by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi as the contributor of the project in the Invention, Research and Innovation Exhibition, Malaysia
• Winning the award of Family Development Foundation by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi for her training workshop in the international conference, Abu Dhahi, United Arab Emirates, May 2008
• Getting the invention patent license No. 42085 dated 17th of August 2007 by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi for her research on the effect of the extract of Berberis Vulgaris on Alpha-fetoprotein tumor marker and molecular level changes in the liver cancerous cells
• Winning the silver medal by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi as the contributor of the project in the Invention, Research and Innovation Exhibition, UPM RMC, 2003
• Getting the invention patent license No. 39438 dated 12th of March, 2006 by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi for her research project on the effect of the extract of Azadirachta in dica on the apoptosis of cancerous liver cells in Separague Dawley Mice
• Getting the invention patent license No. 34546 dated 21th of April, 2006 by Dr. Parichehr Hanachi for her research on the antioxidant and anticancer effects of the Berberis Vulgaris on the carcinogenic effects of Diethylnitrosamine (DEN) and Acetylaminofluorene in Separague Dawley Mice liver cells
Facilities of the Institute
The specialized library of the institute aims at promoting knowledge within the domain of women's biological, psychological, social, economic, and political issues. It contains around 4500 volumes on various topics such as family studies, women's health, women in law, women and social issues, women literature, women in Islam etc. the library also contains a digital archive which provides access to thousands of electronic sources.
• Conference hall
The conference hall of the institute is suitable for holding seminars, lectures, and training workshops.
The research lab of the department of biomedicine is divided into molecular, biochemical and cell culture sections.
This section of the lab focuses on molecular research projects using equipment such as PCR, Gel Documentation, Electrophoresis, etc.
The biochemistry section of this lab is equipped with HPLC, Spectrophotometer and Chromatography.
Cell culture section:
Sterilized and separated by a glass partition from the other two sections, the cell culture room is equipped with laminar flow hood, inverted microscope and Co2 Incubator.
Academic Journals of the Institute
• Women's Studies: Sociological and Psychological http://jwsps.alzahra.ac.ir/
• Journal of Woman and Family Studies